Built by George and Augusta Evans in 1887, this property remained their residence until they built the house highlighted last year at 1000 East Cesar Chavez. George was an Ohio resident prior to moving to Austin and brought his German-born wife with him when he came. He was an operator for a dray freight transfer line which, considering his real estate purposes, must have been quite lucrative. Several others came and went in the next few years until it was purchased by Patrick and Annie Cain in 1910. The property records chart his advancement working for the City Water, Light, and Power Department until he is listed as a salesman and a foreman. The Cains shared the property with two other families in 1930. They continued to rent the property for years until it was purchased by Joel and Anita Quintanilla in 1973. Mrs. Quintanilla ran a beauty shop up the street at what is now France’s at 911 ECC.
Between 1910 and the present, several updates were made to both the landscape and the structure’s interior. In the 1990’s the Pozos family, related to the Quintanillas by marriage, aquired the home and repurposed it as a church. When the Pozos decided to sell the home they received offers from developers interested in tearing down the original home. Out of respect for their history in the neighborhood, the family held out for a buyer with a plan to preserve the house. In 2010, the property was found by Cody Symington and Mary Jenkins who, along with a group of investors, purchased the property for the purpose of opening a cafe. Maintaining the historic integrity of the building is a strong priority, and they have received the Heritage Society of Austin Merit Award for their sensitivity to preservation. They are chronicling their restoration of the building on http://cenoteaustin.tumblr.com/. Through the shared values and hard work of the Quintanilla and Pozos familes and the Cenote LLC, this unique structure has been preserved for the continued benefit and enjoyment of ECC neighbors.