The Risher - Nicholas Building is a City of Austin landmark. (CASE #1978-0030-) (ORDINANCE#: 780914-P). Risher, an owner of the building, operated mail lines in Texas in 1858 and by 1869, his firm controlled sixteen of the thirty-one passenger and mail lines in the state. They employed over three hundred men, and used over one thousand mules and horses in their operations in Texas and Louisiana. Dr. J. J. Jennings owned the building for a time. He ran the famous African American drug store and attributed his success to his close attention to business and 'stick-to-it-iveness.' Charles F. Millet is associated with the building and he was very active in the social, economic and political life of Austin. He held stock in the Austin Water Supply Co.; Vice-president of the Austin Gaslight and Coal Col; member of the Life Association of America; first Chief of the Austin Volunteer Fire Dept.; member of Austin's First Volunteer Firefighters; member of the Colorado Steam Engine Co. # 2; sole nominee for Aldterman, 9th Ward, City Council; and he owned several planning mills and a large lumber mill.